Friday, March 12, 2010

Patient Contentment

Dear friends, there is nothing harder than wanting something good and yet having to wait for the right time, right person, right circumstance. Marriage is a beautiful thing that God created for His children and its something He wants to give us in the right time, with the right person, etc. However, as believers, most often our first and most primary task is to wait. Ultimately we wait for Christ's second coming, "Come quickly!" and "Even so, Lord Jesus, come!" are the cries of the apostles.
   I am still just a freshman, and I have always thought it would be wiser to hold off on any serious relationships until I'm close to finishing college. But most of my close companions at school are upperclassmen and have their own love interests. I watch them grow close to each other, I support them with prayer daily, I am constantly reminded of my singleness by their unity. Not that singleness is undesirable. Rather, I haven't yet learned to treasure it. I pray that I may. But the natural desire for a husband remains.
  The council of my friends and parents is golden.
One brother encouraged me with words I will not soon forget: "We must be patient. But we must be content to be patient."
  Also one of the directors told us (in a morning devotional), "The Bible says, "Thy word is a lamp to my feet" not a light beam to the end of life."
  My favorite hymn remains to be, "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
                                                        Just to take Him at His word,
                                                       Just to rest upon His promise
                                                      And to know, "Thus saith the Lord."


                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment