Sunday, March 7, 2010

Moody Chorale tours the S.E.

Moody Chorale consists of about fifty students--both music majors and Bible majors--who enjoy spreading the gospel and illustrating the beauty of Scripture through song. I am privileged to be a member and join them in touring the south east states--Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Kentucky.
   Last night we arrived in Forrest City, Arkansas where we met up with the folks at the First Baptist church, had dinner, and then separated into small groups and went home with some of the church members who were so kind in hosting us. Lynnette Emme (pronounced em-mee) and I stayed with a wonderful lady named Mrs. Walker. We sat and talked for awhile in her comfy living room decorated with an old fashioned couch and matching blue lazy boys situated opposite the TV--just like at my Great Grandma's house growing up. Her husband had been in the navy and she had a lot of stories to tell about the days when she didn't have anywhere to stay because he'd been re-stationed and she found a room in the YWCA. Mrs. Walker seemed to be lonely and it was lovely getting to spend time with her talking about our school in the city and her adventurous young life back when--she had many fond memories to tell us. Before I went to bed she came in and took the heavy crocheted covering off the bed--which was just decoration--and mentioned that her Grandma had made the delicate masterpiece by hand!
     This morning we had our first concert. The church sanctuary was large and had stained glass windows set in the walls. I love old churches like that and can almost always guess what they'll look like on the inside because the era they were built in resembled a certain pattern of architecture that is pretty continuous.
  I think the concert went well, though I didn't feel at my best on some of the songs. I always wonder why Mr. Ed let me into the Chorale because I really am not at the level of the other first sopranos--I suppose he realized that I would learn and absorb some of the other girl's skills. I hope so!
   It was wonderful to be able to sing from my heart about the goodness of God to people who are my sisters and brothers--yet people that I have never met before and probably will not meet again on this side of heaven. I heard some amazing testimonies of God's faithfulness and redemption from them, and I sensed that our music was received as praise to God and not performance for them. I am so glad.
That, after all, is the whole point of this tour...if we were traveling about simply to showcase our skills and good effort, what a waste of time that would be! How worthless!
 Only when God gets the glory are the songs that we sing of any value in light of eternity.
To Him be all praise, honor, and majesty!
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You are totally right! Use you're talents and perform for Christ! Anything else would be useless! Praying our Lord Jesus will keep you afresh everyday!!!

    ReplyDelete