Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Quiet, Unassuming

A poem about clicks

Quiet, unassuming
I stand alone
Does anyone see me?
Do They know what it means
To be without a friend?

I fight the pride within my soul.
Of nothing would I boast,
But if They knew me, such
Worthy companionship would not so easily be rejected.

Why were the former days better than these?
And can anyone see how it hurts,
to be misvalued?

Quiet, unassuming
I stand alone
Does anyone need me?
Can I be a friend?

I see you there, sadly
Watching Their happy faces, 
Listening to Their empty chatter.
You feel it too, the hurt
Of being the one outside.

I go to you.
We smile.
Connection; embrace.
We're friends now.
Time passes and when you find you're place
I'm satisfied.

But here I am, alone again
I've learned each has his place
Not rightly his or fairly given,
But steadfast, it remains.

My pride is gone.
I value not,
The fallacy of Their embrace.

Quiet, unassuming
I stand alone
Watching a new face.
New because I failed to notice
Such sorrow out of place.

Could one of Them be hurting too?
Rejected he is not, but still
We share a self-same loss:
A friendship that is true.

Until he finds that, his facade,
Must go on.

Suddenly, I remember you
And taking new resolve
Set out to reach his saddened heart
And be the hands of God.

But as I try, he turns away.
I find that to be good to him,
To myself I must be false.

Perhaps he, in his own mind
Does count the cost;
A cost beyond what fearful hearts can pay
for dread of loss.

What now?


Quiet, unassuming
I see him standing there.
Around him is gay chatter
The day is very fair.

His eyes are dull. 
He does not see me~
Watching, wishing, pitying.

He remains alone, and I
must on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment