Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Do You See the Same Truth?

There walked a man along this way
Some forty years ago
He set out on a bright summer day
To wander to and fro
We asked him in the village
For what treasure did he seek?
He stood and made us answer
"I seek a man who sees."
"Sees what?" We then did ask him
Surprise was on each face.
For all our people saw well
There's none blind in this place.
A thoughtful look he gave us
His eyes wandered all about
But shrugging he kept walking
His brow filled with a cloud.
And when in the village next, 
He was asked to slow his pace
He asked why should he stop there
And turned away his face.
There passed many months when
Again I saw him come
Along that dusty road, there
This time, not the only one.
For at his side stood another man
A bloke never split a better grin
And when they came into the alehouse
There wasn't an easier man with which to drink gin.
We asked our old pal where he'd found him
This jolly, good-looking young chap
He told us he'd just kept on walking
Until he ran into the sap.
We laughed but saw that both these two
Had some deeper reason well hid
Which made them best companions
Who saw eye to eye. Yes, it did.
It wasn't until later on, though
When the drunkards all waddled off home
And left our two neighbors just sitting
That I saw what was felt in their bones.
They were like two brothers fine-grafted
from one solid pillar, or one flame
They bore in their hearts a desire
To know something called "truth" by its name.
I sat in the woodwork and listened
Like a fly on the wall to their talk
I decided we blokes all were missing
Some great gift meant to be had in life's walk.
Perhaps just to hear their sparked voices
Speaking with passion and ease
Of things I'd never heard spoken
Of things beyond wife and home-things.
They spoke of a burden both shared
A pursuit they each sought and desired
They spoke as if nothing were greater
They were consumed by such great inner fires.
"This must be friendship,"
I thought then
"These men are companions,"
I whispered.
And over again rang their seeking
Their crying, their passionate beating
Over one self-same treasure each sought:
"Do you see the same truth?"
"Yes, it's the one that I bought."
"You bought this truth? This Light that I see?"
"No, I sold all I had...it wasn't enough! Another bought it for me."
"Then you have the same Truth as me!"
And then did I take courage in me
And slunk from the wood where I hid
And creeping close down in among them
Drank up their fine words till they said-
"Would you too, seek this thing?
This treasure beyond knowing or having?
It will cost you your wealth for the taking."
"Though it cost me my all I will have it!"
I spoke bolder than ever my ancients
Both men looked on me with gladness
And let me join their friendship-banquet.
We talked until early dawning
But did not sound out our deep well
We dug and we drew, never yawning
And found the depth beneath us yet held
And seeking we've been ever since.
These forty years have gone by
And more and more other chaps have
Joined us in our weak try
At seeing the same truth.
Hardly a day will go by
Without one asking-
"Do you see the same truth as I?"

No comments:

Post a Comment