Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Idealism

At the end of summer camp, during my exit interview, I was informed that I was an idealist. In case you need some help with that one here's a definition. "Someone who forms and pursues unrealistic ideals." My director encouraged me not to be too idealistic about people, especially, since everyone comes from a different background of experience and has their own personality. I must confess that I've always found it hard to put myself in another's person's shoes. I can easily put myself in their situation--but thats the things--I've still got myself in the equation and I always give advice based on what I would do if I were in their situation. But they are not me and my advice doesn't help them much. Neither does it help me understand and love other people as they are.
   I'm realizing that I have been idealistic about my family as well. I came home and expected certain things in each of my siblings and my parents, but have been disappointed. Because of disappointment I've lost my motivation to serve my family in the greatest capacity possible. Because I have become so disillusioned and discouraged I've lost my purpose in being home and have become bored and grumpy. And all the time I'm wondering why I can't make myself cheer up!
   The Lord has set me up. First He told me I was an idealist. And then He put me in a situation where I will be forced to either live miserably or get rid of my idealism! I think He's very smart. Because now I'm going to try and not get frustrated when people act selfishly, pridefully, or un-lovingly. I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do instead, but I'm sure that's part of my lesson. So I'll leave it to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment